Melissa's Life Journal

I love God more than anything in this world. I am not perfect and mess up from time to time. Though my heart is true and He knows it.

Friday, May 7, 2010

Wicked Counsel


2 Samuel 13-14; Matthew 24

2 Samuel 13 :3-5 Now Amnon had a friend named Jonadab son of Shimeah, David's brother. Jonadab was a very shrewd man. 4 He asked Amnon, "Why do you, the king's son, look so haggard morning after morning? Won't you tell me?" Amnon said to him, "I'm in love with Tamar, my brother Absalom's sister." 5 "Go to bed and pretend to be ill," Jonadab said. "When your father comes to see you, say to him, 'I would like my sister Tamar to come and give me something to eat. Let her prepare the food in my sight so I may watch her and then eat it from her hand.'

Amnon had a problem and up until then he had controlled it. Even though he said he was in love with Tamar, he was just filled with lust for her. Going to Jonadab was the wrong idea because Amnon knew that Jonadab wasn't the wisest man. However, he took his advice.

2 Sam 13:12-14 12 "Don't, my brother!" she said to him. "Don't force me. Such a thing should not be done in Israel! Don't do this wicked thing. 13 What about me? Where could I get rid of my disgrace? And what about you? You would be like one of the wicked fools in Israel. Please speak to the king; he will not keep me from being married to you." 14 But he refused to listen to her, and since he was stronger than she, he raped her.

Amnon couldn't control his urge any longer but he was pushed by Jonadab. And this is what got him killed. If Amnon would have talked to someone, like his father, he could have gotten everything he wanted and not been killed. But when someone seeks wrong counsel they end up with the consequences.

God brings wise people into our lives to help us make the right decisions. When we are conflicted with something, instead of trying to figure it out for ourselves we need to seek out a man or woman of God to help us look at things in a different perspective. After Amnon raped Tamar he hated her because he got what he wanted and all he wanted was to use her. He never loved her all he wanted was to sleep with a virgin girl and see how it felt.

Amnon was tainted from Jonadabs words and wicked counsel that he became wicked himself. If I don't want to be tainted and if i want to seek God than I need to seek those wise people in my life and look at God through them.

Lord,
Thank you for bringing wise people in my life. Thank you for those people that i can look up to and strive to be like them, especially in times in need. You are planted in them and have brought them in my path so i can seek you. I thank you for your holy spirit in me for guiding me and always helping me.
I forever love you always
Amen

No comments: