Melissa's Life Journal

I love God more than anything in this world. I am not perfect and mess up from time to time. Though my heart is true and He knows it.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Be an Example to the Believers


2 Kings 8-9; 2 Chronicles 21; 1 Timothy 4

1 Timothy 4:11-14 11Command and teach these things. 12Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity. 13Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching. 14Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through a prophetic message when the body of elders laid their hands on you.

Timothy was a young disciple of Paul. During those times it was rare to have such a young pastor or teacher of the word because the rabbis and teachers were older men who have studied all their lives. Timothy was younger than other leaders and maybe felt like that was a negative aspect of his ministry. But Paul, a man of discernement, a man of faith and strength saw something in Timothy that he knew he could persevere and lead people to the Lord.

There are many ways for us to lead by example. There are many ways for us to live and show others who we are in Christ. But Paul set out specific ways for us to live...live by example. Show others who we are in

Speech: If I in the morning are worshipping God and reading the Word and doing my journal and telling my friends and family about Christ than going out at night and swearing all the time..what kind of example am i?

Matthew 15:18 But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean.'
Life: The decisions I make in life don't only affect me but those around me. Especially because I am a Pastor and even if I wasn't, they still affect my family & my friends. The person I decide to be is the person that other people will want to or not want to be around. So if I am a grotesque person than I will have grotesque friends. But If I am a kind person than I will attract kind people.

1 Kings 21: 17 17 Then the word of the LORD came to Elijah the Tishbite: 18 "Go down to meet Ahab king of Israel, who rules in Samaria. He is now in Naboth's vineyard, where he has gone to take possession of it. 19 Say to him, 'This is what the LORD says: Have you not murdered a man and seized his property?' Then say to him, 'This is what the LORD says: In the place where dogs licked up Naboth's blood, dogs will lick up your blood—yes, yours!' "

Love: It is easier to be mad at someone than to love them. But God calls us to love everyone even our enemies. To treat them right, no matter what. Because that is how God treats us.

Matthew 22:37-40 Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'a]">[a] 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'b]">[b] 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."
Faith: As followers of Christ we are pushed to live by faith. How can I not have faith if I am loving, worshipping a God that I cannot see. If I believe in God I have faith and if I don't believe in Him my faith perishes.

Hebrews 10:35-38 Do not let this happy trust in the Lord die away, no matter what happens. Remember your reward! You need to keep on patiently doing God's will if you want Him to do for you all that He has promised. His coming will not be delayed much longer. And those whose faith has made them good in God's sight must live by faith, trusting Him in everything. Otherwise, if they shrink back, God will have no pleasure in them.

Purity: In a world that depends on itself and wants to destroy others to get ahead, its tough to live in not only sexual purity but also mental purity. It is a command from God to keep ourselves pure because than God can speak to us and keep us strong from the temptations of the world.

Phillipians 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Lord,
Thank you for guiding me to you. I know that I can learn about life and how to live it to the fullest through you. You are the Almighty and wonderful God and I am nothing without you.
I forever love you always
Amen

No comments: